A Travellerspoint blog

What would you do?

....a cry for help to aid my current dilemna

semi-overcast 16 °C

Hello readers. Not just a normal blog entry today, I'm hoping for some opinions on what you would do in my current predicament. I'm guessing that I'm not the first person to have hit this unfortunate scenario and it would be nice to hear what you think, so here goes. Answers in an email or make a comment, go on I dare you.

The Situation:

So I injured my right shoulder snowboarding in Canada and just received the results of the MRI scan and arthogram yesterday. It's not good news. The diagnosis...

a torn anterior and superioir labrum with a slight deformity of the anterior inferior margin of the glenoid consistent with a bony Bankart lesion.

In plain english I've torn the tendon that holds my arm in it's socket from the front round to the underside. (The back is intact and the mobility tendons are all good which is good news.)

To fix it requires anthroscopic surgery so the debate is where/when to have it done.

The Options:

1) Stay in New Zealand for the operation.

This involves around a 6 week wait for the operation, then 1 night in hospital, 10 days with no arm mobility afterwards then 3 months physio till it's fully recovered.

2) Fly home and get treated in the UK, then resume travels when I'm fixed up (all courtesy of the insurance company)

3) Ignore it and cary on travels (Indonesia in only 7 days time) and get it fixed later when I get back. That means an NHS waiting list, and no snowboarding this coming winter :o(

4) others??

The Timescales

48 hours to decide. Nothing like a bit of pressure eh!?

So what's it to be???? I look forward to hearing from youwith the rediculousor serious, all appreciated.

./l&p from a lost and troubled phileas

Posted by phileas 19:35 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Comments

No contest. Option 2. The only other realistic option is the NZ one. NZ will probably have a very good health care system, and it gives you a chance to get more into the NZ lifestyle. Also, it means you'll be there when I'm in town in July (after the 21st).

by grumpydude

Phil Mate,

Tough Call, but only after knowing you for a couple of days I know your made of steel. With a messed up shoulder the bastard can still come second in a knock out pool competition, a hard night of drinking and still get some extra mac sauce at a New Zealand McDonald's at 4 am. The decision lies with you my friend, but I am sure you can still handle yourself with a few more big drinking nights of fun. Just go easy on the breakdancing from now on.

Cheers your new found aussie mate

Marc

by Noah

Either Option 1 or 2 - Why on earth would you possibly want to come back to the UK when you can stay in NZ!

by sunshine_123

Steel, bollox, he's made of bendy copper piping by the sound of it.

Seems to me like you can't go wrong with 1 or 2. But I presume that the insurance company would have you done privately in the UK, so that would be loads quicker than the wait for the NZ NHS? Depends how quick you want to get on with the travels and how much pain you are in (being stuck in one place).

Option 5) sell the arm on eBay and replace it with a smoked ham.

P

by DrPaul

From one shoulder cripple to another you got to get it fixed dude. And trust me, you don't want to be surfin G-land with one arm!

Seeing as the weather is so much nicer over here than in rainy NZ there ain't really much of a choice... come back, we miss ya!!! (need I forward some pictures of the beauties on the common as a bribe?!)

by AndyPandy

Crikey mate looks like you've gotta get that one fixed-up...I have to agree with DrPaul though...apart from the hopefully speedier outcome it would be good to see ya!

by djcarlos

Now steady on there Carlos, I was just floating it as an idea. Personally I wouldn't mind spending some time in NZ, but you know that Philip - always rushing about like there's no tomorrow. Anyway if he came home we'd only break him with the lagers.

by DrPaul

The deadline has come and gone and still no word for the insurance, pah! I guess I should have listed the other 'option' of being stuck waiting for some slack fat cat in Insurance Towers to roll the dice of destiny - ho hum, I wait with baited breath. Blighty sounds like Mecca, yet the NZ option is getting better by the day with tonnes of ents turning up. I await for word from the Swedish Bikini team and that should seal the deal ;-) Watch this space...

by phileas

Hee Phil,

Everything OK with you? have fun in NZ!

by 0SAM0

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint